PDA

View Full Version : Memory requirements

Fuzz
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm just wondering what differences memory makes in routers for a home lab situation. Obviously you need enough flash memory to install a particular IOS, but how will DRAM affect the router under different IOS? Cisco gives recommended system memory for each IOS feature set I know, but is it really necessary for a home lab?

At the moment I have an IP PLUS image on my 3640 router, and with only 8MB flash, it's quite an old one. As such, it doesn't support the 1FE2W module I have inserted. Luckily I also have a 1E2W, so I can use this image to learn inter-VLAN trunking, but when it comes to configuring WAN interfaces I'm going to have to wipe and install a basic IP image. This is kind of annoying, so I want to max the amount of flash in preparation for the CCNP image that will be needed eventually anyway. I'd prefer not to have to spend money on DRAM as well, although I'm only running 32MB at the moment. Suggestions?

crissa
12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
[...]Suggestions?

Hello,
suggestions? Yes, but maybe you don't like the first one ... :-)

I bought flash and DRAM memory to upgrade my 3640 routers. I got the used memory on Ebay for a low price. With 32 MB flash and 128 MB DRAM memory I can now use a current 12.4 IOS. So my first suggestion is: Spend the money!

Second suggestion: 32 MB is the maximum flash for a 3640 router. Try if the IOS really complains about low (DRAM) memory! If you don't have enough flash memory you can try to boot the IOS from a card or an tftp server. But DRAM ...

Third suggestion: Use Dynamips/Dynagen!

HTH!
Bye, Tore