PDA

View Full Version : Boot System Flash question on Pg 262

blackladyJV
08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi,

On page 262, it shows : Router(config)# boot system flash c2800nm-ad.....bin

My question is whether we need additional "flash:" in front of the filename so it becomes this:

boot system flash flash:c2800-nm-ad.....bin ???

From Cisco command lookup, it shows:

Command reference:
Booting from a System Image in Internal Flash

boot system flash [flash-fs:] [partition-number:] [filename]

where [flash-fs:] says flash: is one of the valid choice.

i have 2811 router with 12.4.15T8 and a 12.3.7T1 in the router and I want to put boot system flash for 12.4 as primary and 12.3 as backup so to boot with 12.4 first. So my quesiton is whether it should be with or without flash: "after" the "boot system flash"???

thanks.
________
Aromed (http://vaporizers.net)

Big Evil
08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
It would be:

(config)#boot system flash:c2811-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin

HTH.

blackladyJV
08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi,

It seems there are 3 ways to configure this and all 3 ways work. The question really is which is the most accurate way Cisco will say is correct??

1. boot system flash <iosfilename> -- this is Todd's way in the book
2. boot system flash:<iosfilename> -- this is your way listed
3. boot system flash flash:<iosfilename> -- this also shows in cisco command reference guide for :

flash-fs:

(Optional) Flash file system containing the system image to load at startup. The colon is required. Valid file systems are as follows:

?flash:?Interna l flash memory on the Cisco 1600 series and Cisco 3600 series routers. For the Cisco 1600 series and Cisco 3600 series routers, this file system is the default if you do not specify a file system. This is the only valid file system for the Cisco 1600 series.

?bootflash:?Int ernal flash memory in the Cisco 7000 family.

?slot0:?First PCMCIA slot on the Cisco 3600 series and Cisco 7000 family routers. For the Cisco 7000 family routers, this file system is the default if you do not specify a file system.

?slot1:?Flash memory card in the second PCMCIA slot on the Cisco 3600 series and Cisco 7000 family routers.

On the Cisco 2600 series routers, a file system should be specified. Otherwise, the router may attempt to load the Cisco IOS software twice with unexpected results.

partition-number:

(Optional) Number of the flash memory partition that contains the system image to boot, specified by the optional filename argument. If you do not specify a filename, the router loads the first valid file in the specified partition of flash memory. This argument is valid only on routers that can be partitioned.

filename

(Optional when used with the boot system flash command) Name of the system image to load at startup. This argument is case sensitive. If you do not specify a value for the filename argument, the router loads the first valid file in the following:

?The specified flash file system

?The specified partition of flash memory

?The default flash file system if you also omitted the flash-fs: argument
________
couple Webcams (http://www.girlcamfrie nd.com/webcam/straight-couples/)

Big Evil
08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
There is no "most accurate " or better way.
Which ever suits you needs best.

However for an exam, the Cisco way would be right.

blackladyJV
08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
but then which way is the "cisco" way? It seems #2 is unofficial way as that is what I see some ppl use including you but it doesn't fit the Cisco command reference page.

Choice #1 and #3 both fit in the command reference page while Todd uses #1 in the book. But will either #1 or #3 be the more updated way? don't know. In the older router platform, there used to be more than one flash slots so I imagine you will need to specify the slot if you want to copy to/from the non-default slot. but now in ISR router like 2800 series, it just have one Flash card slot for flash pretty much, so in that case it will be the default slot anyway so probably we don't need to specify as in #1 or even if we do specify as in #3 and probably won't hurt one way or the other. I am more interested to find out from cisco what they will say which is more "official cisco way".
________
FIX PS3 (http://fixps3.info/)

Big Evil
08-06-2009, 04:31 PM
The ref i gave was from Cisco.

lammle
08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi,

On page 262, it shows : Router(config)# boot system flash c2800nm-ad.....bin

My question is whether we need additional "flash:" in front of the filename so it becomes this:

boot system flash flash:c2800-nm-ad.....bin ???

From Cisco command lookup, it shows:

Command reference:

where [flash-fs:] says flash: is one of the valid choice.

i have 2811 router with 12.4.15T8 and a 12.3.7T1 in the router and I want to put boot system flash for 12.4 as primary and 12.3 as backup so to boot with 12.4 first. So my quesiton is whether it should be with or without flash: "after" the "boot system flash"???

thanks.

In the cisco corriculm they use the flash:
but they both work....I don't think I'd stress about it too much.
Todd

blackladyJV
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi Todd,

My concern is not for the test (already passed the test). I want to find out which is better and more stable for real customer.

I put in as the book has: boot system flash <filename> this morning on customer router and during reload, I am watching it from console, I can see the router has "decompress" the image twice before it comes up. So will it mean it won't do that if I have it other way? I don't know, I am going to test all 3 methods in a lab to find out.

So in summary: there are 3 ways it seems:

1. boot system flash <filename>
2. boot system flash:<filename>
3. boot system flash flash:<filename>

of coz we only want to test this when there are more than 1 IOS in the router so you get to pick which one to load as primary. If there is only 1 IOS in the router, there is no reason to put any 1 of the 3 commands in it at all.
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendi e99.com/)

lammle
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Todd,

My concern is not for the test (already passed the test). I want to find out which is better and more stable for real customer.

I put in as the book has: boot system flash <filename> this morning on customer router and during reload, I am watching it from console, I can see the router has "decompress" the image twice before it comes up. So will it mean it won't do that if I have it other way? I don't know, I am going to test all 3 methods in a lab to find out.

So in summary: there are 3 ways it seems:

1. boot system flash <filename>
2. boot system flash:<filename>
3. boot system flash flash:<filename>

of coz we only want to test this when there are more than 1 IOS in the router so you get to pick which one to load as primary. If there is only 1 IOS in the router, there is no reason to put any 1 of the 3 commands in it at all.

I always use method #1. I have for more than a decade and it's worked fine. The only way #3 works is if the actual file name was changed to flash:IOS_NAME
I've seen that before, but that isn't the correct syntax.
Todd

blackladyJV
08-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Todd,

Here is the URL for command reference from cisco on 12.4T. Based on below command usage, the optional [flash-fs:] listed below can be <flash:> and that is after the command boot system flash. So that means it is valid to have boot system flash flash:<filename> based on below. What do you think?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_a1.html#wp10 15403

flash-fs:

(Optional) Flash file system containing the system image to load at startup. The colon is required. Valid file systems are as follows:

?flash:?Interna l flash memory on the Cisco 1600 series and Cisco 3600 series routers. For the Cisco 1600 series and Cisco 3600 series routers, this file system is the default if you do not specify a file system. This is the only valid file system for the Cisco 1600 series.

?bootflash:?Int ernal flash memory in the Cisco 7000 family.

?slot0:?First PCMCIA slot on the Cisco 3600 series and Cisco 7000 family routers. For the Cisco 7000 family routers, this file system is the default if you do not specify a file system.

?slot1:?Flash memory card in the second PCMCIA slot on the Cisco 3600 series and Cisco 7000 family routers.

On the Cisco 2600 series routers, a file system should be specified. Otherwise, the router may attempt to load the Cisco IOS software twice with unexpected results.

partition-number:

(Optional) Number of the flash memory partition that contains the system image to boot, specified by the optional filename argument. If you do not specify a filename, the router loads the first valid file in the specified partition of flash memory. This argument is valid only on routers that can be partitioned.

filename

(Optional when used with the boot system flash command) Name of the system image to load at startup. This argument is case sensitive. If you do not specify a value for the filename argument, the router loads the first valid file in the following:

?The specified flash file system

?The specified partition of flash memory

?The default flash file system if you also omitted the flash-fs: argument
________
The cigar boss (http://thecigarboss.co m/)