Only $99 for 30 days...
Renew at half price!

Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Default Router to Router Cable? (DCE/DTE or Serial)

Howdy,
    One is learning the CCNA book and there seems to be two ways so far to connect a Router to a Router. Todd talks about the DCE/DTE cable which simulates a WAN and I'd need a WIC-1T card on either router...but then again, jumping ahead to Frame Relays I noticed on eBay I can get a Frame Relay switch but those like 10-interfaces are all Serial (looks like 9-pin D's)...and not the same as a DCE/DTE interface - the number of pins are very different.

So...I'm at the section talking about the IOS/SDM/Hostname/DNS etc and how to telnet into another router. Would I need:

• WIC-1T modules and a DCE/DTE X-Over to connect the routers together?
    • WIC-2T modules and some cable to connect the routers together (2T looks different to 1T)?
    • NM-4T 4-Port Serial Module?

P.S.
    I've got a 2610XM and 2620 router at the moment with only (Console / Aux / F0/0) on each router.

All I want to do is build a CCNA lab over time connecting Routers and Switches together. I'm thinking, somehow a 9-pin serial for Router to Router and each Router to a Catalyst via F0/0 etc.

Thanks in advance.

They use DB-60, which is just the normal DCE/DTE cables. Or add 4-port (NM-4A/S) and 8-port (NM-8A/S) asynchronous/synchronous (async/sync) network module.
    Last edited by Big Evil; 01-29-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Oh! So the serial interfaces on Frame Relays and all Cisco Routers are called DB60 and the cable I need to connect R-to-R is a DB60 (aka DCE/DTE) cable? I'm also guessing that Crossover DB60 cables are the best ones to use or if using a Frame Relay a DB60 patch cable?

P.S.
    Found that NM-4A/S on eBay. hmm...4-port or 8-port...

Yes, DB60 (aka DCE/DTE).

Depends on your needs 4 or 8, if it was purley a FR switch i would get the 2523,2520 or 2522 FR router. Or looking at it this way a 8-port (NM-8A/S) is the same as the above routers sometimes.
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Thanks man, next pay day = eBay

LOL....

Gotta love ebay for Cisco gear.
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

The 2T looks different as it is 'smart serial'. I'm not sure what's smart about it, but it is the same thing , just a different size. Think about the different size connectors with USB or Firewire and you might get the idea. There's just no room for 2x'1T' on a WIC, so it uses a smaller interface.
    CCNP R&S, CCNA DC
    Currently studying: CCIE R&S, CCNP Data Centre
    Follow my CCIE progress with study notes on my blog: http://beyondccna.blogspot.co.uk/

Its smart as it is smaller!! LOL...
    I have some of these on my routers (they came when bought)

Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

edit: oops, double post due to my bad, stupid, slow connection to the internet!
    Last edited by bs_kwaj; 01-29-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    I thought I was wrong once. But, of course, I was wrong.

I have some of those cables. Interestingly, the smaller connector is marked as DTE on a couple of the cables, but it's marked DCE on a couple of other cables.

Isn't that arbitrary? Doesn't the port configuration determine if a connection is DCE or DTE? Or is there some wiring difference in the cable connectors that would make them either DCE or DTE?

Quote Originally Posted by bs_kwaj View Post
    I have some of those cables. Interestingly, the smaller connector is marked as DTE on a couple of the cables, but it's marked DCE on a couple of other cables.

Isn't that arbitrary? Doesn't the port configuration determine if a connection is DCE or DTE? Or is there some wiring difference in the cable connectors that would make them either DCE or DTE?
    Hello,
    it is the cable. DCE and DTE cables have both a DB-60 male connector at one end (which is connected to the router). The other end is a DB-15 connecter. A DCE cable has a female and a DTE cable a male connector.

Usually you only need a DTE cable that you connect to the ISP. The ISP provides the clock rate.

In a lab enviroment you also have the DCE end and so you have to configure the router with the DCE end with a clock-rate.

The problem with the clock-rate is usually only a problem with labs. By the way, just remember: DCE => Do Clock Enable

In my lab I have a label at each end that shows the DCE and DTE end.
    Bye, Tore

The type of cable you use is down to how your lab is configured. Yuo must use the DCE end of the cable on the interface you will provide clocking, so purchase your lab serial cables with some thought.

For instance, these two cables are not the same

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5FT-CISCO-WI...item2a0458e246

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5FT-CISCO-WI...item2a042493cb

Luckily for labbing, you have the option of deciding which end should be DCE :P
    CCNP R&S, CCNA DC
    Currently studying: CCIE R&S, CCNP Data Centre
    Follow my CCIE progress with study notes on my blog: http://beyondccna.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    The type of cable you use is down to how your lab is configured. Yuo must use the DCE end of the cable on the interface you will provide clocking, so purchase your lab serial cables with some thought.

For instance, these two cables are not the same

[...]

Luckily for labbing, you have the option of deciding which end should be DCE :P
    Hello,
    or try to get a crossover cable for labbing.

(Click on <serial crossover cable> for a larger image.)

The cable ends have labels on the connectors. (The labeled cable clips was added by me, this is cable D. I own four crossover cables.)

(Click on <serial crossover cable with labels> for a larger image.)

IMHO this cables are only useful in a lab. I use three of them to connect three 3640 routers in a triangle.
    Bye, Tore

@Fuzz: Woah, that's something people can easily miss - identical cables, but they're not! Something I'll have to watch out.

I managed to link my two routers with a X-Over Ethernet cable this morning to practice the cdp commands, and to telnet into each other. I think I'll focus on linking equipment with Ethernet but have a couple of DCE/DTE connections - but one shall re-read this thread with the different cable types because knowing the exam all the combinations will come up. Eg, X-Over DCE/DTE and DCE/DTE and DB60/DB15/Smart.

Sharnt play with fibre optics though

Oh, my cables are not like in post #8. They're like in post #12.

This cable research is an interesting little distraction. The cable types I have, at least as marked, are the CAB-6026X and the CAB-SS-2660X.

However, the info I've found says the 6026X is like in cable2.gif below. All of my cables are like cable1.gif, the first blue set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bs_kwaj; 01-30-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Thread Information