Renew at half price!

Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Default Am I ready for the test?

I've been taking the practice tests on the Cisco website and getting things in the 85-95% range. I've been going over all of the material on a daily basis, and i'm trying to convince myself that I'm ready to schedule the exam. I know that i'm the only one who can truly answer the question, but am I ready to take the CCNA? I hate tests, always have, always will, but will reading this book, doing some lab setups at home, and taking some practice tests really prepare me for the exam? Is there any other resources I should be utilizing before I take the exam? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dbeare View Post
    I've been taking the practice tests on the Cisco website and getting things in the 85-95% range. I've been going over all of the material on a daily basis, and i'm trying to convince myself that I'm ready to schedule the exam. I know that i'm the only one who can truly answer the question, but am I ready to take the CCNA? I hate tests, always have, always will, but will reading this book, doing some lab setups at home, and taking some practice tests really prepare me for the exam? Is there any other resources I should be utilizing before I take the exam? Thanks.
    Hello,

Just passing practice tests does not mean you will pass the CCNA exam. It's not just reading/studying that will help you pass the exam. You need to get the hands on experience with the actual routers/switches and know how they work. You need to learn all the topics outlined in the CCNA Exam at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...s/640-802.html.

I would suggest that you review your subnetting. Know how to subnet really quickly! Todd's Sybex Study Guide is a really GREAT guide for subnetting. Read it, practice, and you'll be able to get the hang of subnetting.

If anything, I would recommend you to take the exam in two parts (that will save you money if you think you won't pass the first exam, and you don't have to learn all the information at once). The one part exam is mainly intended for those who need to renew their CCNA Certifications. Taking the exam in two parts is a good strategy because you won't need to study as much. However, the book is designed for the one exam..so you can still do it, but make sure you know and understand all the concepts. Just passing practice tests online won't give you any clue as to whether or not you will pass. There is a different format of testing on the actual CCNA Exam, check out this exam tutorial link:
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le..._tutorial.html

It gives you an idea as to how the format of the exam would be. I would suggest you to play around with it and get familiar with it.

Default ready for CCNA?

Hi, thanks for both to you for posting.

Unfortunanly, the Cisco questions do not provide a gauge for determining if you're ready for the CCNA exam. I am not giving them a hard time as either do the question in my book. It's imposible to write for the exam, unless you're pass4sure, etc... where they use the exact test questions.
    Cisco press books, as with mine, write questions based on the technology and their web site is no different.

The other post here recommends the 2 test method, and certainly that has some merit, but I am for the 1 test method myself, but everyone is different and Cisco provided a two step path for every person that wants the different method.

You must know your routing and switching - more then you think you need to know! You must know ACL's and NAT, as well as subnetting - like you've done it for 20 years...and IOS, wireless and everything else in my book.

My new book does cover the exam - but you must know the book.

This test has a way of humbling the best of us...

Study, study, then study some more....there is not longer a term as "over-prepared"...

Good luck.
    Cheers!
    Todd

I will definitely continue to study, but I did schedule my exam for the end of the month. I figure if I get any feelings before it happens, I can always reschedule. I have been trying to set up different lab situations at home and set up VLAN's, ACL's and using different routing protocols, along with studying 3-4 hours nightly for the past few months. I guess the only way I'll know is to just take it, but I do feel confident at this point. I'm going to do the single test, as I have been preparing for the 1 test, not for two, so i'm going to do it that way. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Dbeare,

I have my exam booked for the 29th Dec and would welcome any links to test questions you may have previously come across.

I hear what Todd is saying, study, study, study but it does help to familiarise yourself with the style of questioning and it provides some guage of how ready you are.

Many thanks,
    Mark

I'm mainly using the questions in the Sybex books and also in the new Cisco ICND1 and ICND2 books, along with questions from cisco.com's CCNA prep site. It has a lot of multiple choice questions that are good for it. I've also made sure that I have plenty of hands on experience with different routers and switches, setting up all types of routing, VLAN's, VTP, CDP, NAT, ACL and everything else I can think of. I've heard that the part that trips people up the most are the simlets and the lab sims, as they require you to really know your stuff rather than to just do multiple choice. Those are my main resources, along with reading, figuring out what I don't have nailed down, and studying more and more. I've got my exam scheduled for the 31st, so good luck to you as well.

~Dustin

Dustin,

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Am also doing as many lab sims as I can using Netsim for CCNA, I highly recommend this application if you are not using it or something similar.

Good luck for your exam too!

Thanks, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by lammle View Post
    Hi, thanks for both to you for posting.

Unfortunanly, the Cisco questions do not provide a gauge for determining if you're ready for the CCNA exam. I am not giving them a hard time as either do the question in my book. It's imposible to write for the exam, unless you're pass4sure, etc... where they use the exact test questions.
    Cisco press books, as with mine, write questions based on the technology and their web site is no different.

The other post here recommends the 2 test method, and certainly that has some merit, but I am for the 1 test method myself, but everyone is different and Cisco provided a two step path for every person that wants the different method.

You must know your routing and switching - more then you think you need to know! You must know ACL's and NAT, as well as subnetting - like you've done it for 20 years...and IOS, wireless and everything else in my book.

My new book does cover the exam - but you must know the book.

This test has a way of humbling the best of us...

Study, study, then study some more....there is not longer a term as "over-prepared"...

Good luck.
    Cheers!
    Todd
    Todd,
    You mention pass4sure as something that writes for the test. I don't know if you can answer this, but what do you mean? Do they use actual questions from the test? I didn't think that was possible, as I thought the questions were proprietary Cisco information. Either way, I know i've studied everything over and over again, and I feel confident for the test. Just wanted to see if you had an opinion on their stuff, as I haven't looked into it but I want to use every good resource that I can to pass this test. Thanks!

Default practice tests....

What I mean is that a place like boson.com, measureup.com and trancender.com do NOT prepare you for the exam - I don't care what their marketing machines tell you.

Those site, however, will help you study for your foundational knowledge.

I don't like brain dumps, test question copy sites, etc, and yes pass4sure is one of them. I haven't seen them but people tell me they are the same as they see on the exam. I refuse to look myself.

So, reading my book, getting hands-on experience and building your foundational knowledge really strong is the best way to go about passing the exam. You'll feel great about yourself and learn alot along the way.

Enjoy the journey.

Good luck!
    Todd Lammle

Good to know, especially since my main goal is knowledge, not just to pass a test. I currently work for an ISP in the midwest, and everything I've learned will hopefully help me to land a job as a network technician, rather than working in the NOC. I'll be working on those 7609's in no time with what i've learned in your book and in my other training hopefully. Thanks again, this site and your book have been a blessing to myself, and i'm sure many others as well.

Thread Information