Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Default Random Equipment Question . . . :P

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question for any who would graciously help me out here ^^;.

I am, like many others, trying to set up a CCNA home lab [one than can hopefully be upgraded to CCNP]. My main idea is to get 2 switches and 2 routers for now [still figuring out which routers to get].

So far i got my hands on these switches:
    Cisco WS-C2950-24 24 Port Switch.
    Cisco Catalyst 3524XL Enterprise Edition 24 port.

My question is, do you think both of those switches will do the trick for CCNA? at least command wise, and maybe be usable if i decide to follow through and get CCNP?.

I got them both for about $45 ish each give or take [plus shipping . . heh :P] thinking they might be a good catch.

Router wise, i am still thinking.

Kindest regards to all!

Bal.

You will be ok with 2950, there are a few caveats to the 2950 that the 2960 does. But at CCNA level that is ok, going foward to CCNP, the 3550 is your best bet.

Router wise the 2600XM is top dog, as is the 3640 ( i have a number of thoughts on here regards the 3640). If you can get the 2600XM with 128/32 in them all the better, most people upgrade them from the box. But the DRAM/Flash is cheap anyhow for the 2600XM's. If you can get a 1841, all the better as you will need a ISR long term.

HTH.

Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Thank you very much for your input Big , i highly appreciate it ^^.

My next question is, are the 3524XL of any use or should i get rid of them? [i have 2 now . . . picked one up for 20 bucks total :P].

I am wondering if i should keep them or if they would be useful for CCNA/P or any of the CCNA specializations , or if it would be better just to sell them and go for another 2950 or anything along those lines.

Mainly asking since i haven't seen any mention about them anywhere thus far.

Also, again, thanks a lot for your reply!.

Kind Regards

Bal.

They are ok as spares in a set up lab.
    If you can px them in for something you will use more of, all the better.

In my fist lab i had a 2900XL, it blew up! LOL..
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by baldurel View Post
    [...]

Mainly asking since i haven't seen any mention about them anywhere thus far.

[...]
    Hello,
    guess why!

Spanning tree is more fun with three switches. The problem is that older models maybe use other commands and present another outcome.

I own three switches, two 2950 and one 3548. The 3548 switch is the first to be retired if I get better equipment. I got it for free (some password recovery and some basic setup of two other switches).
    Bye, Tore

Ah i see, i figured something like that might be the issue :P.

I just got my second 2950 Switch, alas . . . i noted it had 2 bursted caps . . . so im thinking on re-selling it with that in mind. Sadly i don't have the equipment or the skills to replace the caps, and well , who knows long long it will last with those things leaking.

Hope i can snipe another one soon!.

Ah i see, i figured something like that might be the issue :P.

I just got my second 2950 Switch, alas . . . i noted it had 2 bursted caps . . . so im thinking on re-selling it with that in mind. Sadly i don't have the equipment or the skills to replace the caps, and well , who knows long long it will last with those things leaking.

Hope i can snipe another one soon!.
    Hello,
    what do you mean with "bursted caps"? (Keep in mind that some on us (including me) are not native English speakers.) A broken port shouldn't be a problem in a lab environment.

By the way, try to get Enhanced 2950 switches.
    Bye, Tore

Don't worry, im not a native english speaker either .

Bursted caps is what i call the capacitors that go bad on any system board, when they start leaking or bulging [in other words, it's busted, i call it burst because of how i picture the capacitor at the moment of the leak. . . i picture it like a small volcano erupting!].

Those kind of caps usually mean bad news for whatever board happens to have them .

Other than that, the switch works perfectly fine and it's fully operational, but who knows for how long.

Quote Originally Posted by crissa View Post
    Hello,
    guess why!

Spanning tree is more fun with three switches. The problem is that older models maybe use other commands and present another outcome.

I own three switches, two 2950 and one 3548. The 3548 switch is the first to be retired if I get better equipment. I got it for free (some password recovery and some basic setup of two other switches).
    Bye, Tore
    Are you talking about a 3548 or a 3550?

I'm running c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE3.bin on my 3550-48 and this allows me to do everything including L3 operation. (Unfortunately no PoE capabilities but I have a 3508 In Line Power for that. I I trunk the 2 with Fiber GBICs)
    John

CCNA
    CCNA:Voice
    ATSA Internetworking - AdTran

Bursted caps is what i call the capacitors that go bad on any system board, when they start leaking or bulging [in other words, it's busted, i call it burst because of how i picture the capacitor at the moment of the leak. . . i picture it like a small volcano erupting!].

Those kind of caps usually mean bad news for whatever board happens to have them .

Other than that, the switch works perfectly fine and it's fully operational, but who knows for how long.
    Sounds like a power supply ... easy enough to swap out.
    John

CCNA
    CCNA:Voice
    ATSA Internetworking - AdTran

Sadly it isn't power supply . The bad capacitors are on the actual "motherboar d"/ mainboard of the switch. I have 2 bulging and 2 leaking capacitors on the board. The power supply is fine [which is ironic and kinda sad, wish it was the other way around].

It saddens me because it's a 2950T 24 port.

I am almost wondering if i should look around for someone to swap the capacitors for me [the switch works perfectly fine, but those capacitors spell certain doom unless changed], or if i should just get another switch ~_~.
    Last edited by baldurel; 11-16-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Hello,
    thank you, now I understand. I know about this problem.
    Bye, Tore

Quote Originally Posted by HermeszData View Post
    Are you talking about a 3548 or a 3550?

I'm running c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE3.bin on my 3550-48 and this allows me to do everything including L3 operation. (Unfortunately no PoE capabilities but I have a 3508 In Line Power for that. I I trunk the 2 with Fiber GBICs)
    Hello,
    it is a 3548:

Code:
    s3548a#sh vers
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software 
    IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC17, RELEASE SOFTWA
    RE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 13-Feb-07 15:04 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00352924

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3500XL boot loader

s3548a uptime is 16 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin"

cisco WS-C3548-XL (PowerPC403) processor (revision 0x01) with 16384K/1024K bytes of memory.
    Bye, Tore

Thread Information