Renew at half price!

Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Default Chapter 11 Lab 11.1 Problems

I set up up the network as laid out in lab 11.1 (using RouterSim) but I am having some problems. I can't ping from ISP to Lab C. Pinging from ISP I can only get as far as s0/2 on Lab_A (s0/0 doesn't ping). When I ping from Lab C I can only ping to s0/2 (can't ping ISP).

1. I did a show ip route on Lab_A and that looks good (with my limited networking knowledge anyway). Both connected networks were seen and the 192.168.30 network was shown as well.
    2. I configured DCE on ISP with a clockrate (is that right? Should it be Lab_A? I wonder now....)
    3. I wasn't able to configure the default route on ISP like step 5 requested. I can't get it to work. It tells me the command is incomplete. Even after reading up again on default routes I had no luck in my endeavors.
    4. I verified all of my ip address and did find a mistake but even after the fix I still couldn't ping successfully.
    Another question I have is why do I have to use the passive-interface command on Lab_A (s0/2). How does ISP know how to get to Lab_A s0/0 if RIP isn't advertising to ISP.

I really think my problem lies in the fact that I can't configure my default route on ISP. It can't advertise to the rest of the network so none of the routers know it's there. But if my ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0 command isn't working how do I get around that? Perhaps a static route configure in Lab_A?

This scenario is somewhat like an enterprise setup where lab b and c are inside the enterprise, isp is the Internet, and lab a is the firewall between them.

If everything is working correctly, I would not expect to be able to ping from isp to lab b or c, or the inside interface of lab a, assuming the ping command is initiated from the isp console. A firewall performing NAT is supposed to prevent that.

On the other hand, you should be able to ping isp from the console of any of the other routers. You should also be able to ping from isp to the outside interface of lab a.

As for step 5, the default route; I'm not sure. I do notice that the line refers to the serial interface as s0. Depending on the type router you chose in RouterSim and how you hooked things up, that may need to be s0/0 or something else (but you probably figured that out already). You might try using the IP address of the next hop instead of the exit interface. That is:

ISP(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 171.16.10.2

You're amazing! It worked using the IP address instead of the interface! Is that the correct way to do it or does RouterSim just not support that command in that form?

I set up a very simple scenario in RouterSim to test this. I used 2811 routers.

If I used s0, as the book's text suggests, then I get - Incomplete Command - as you did. If I used s0/0/0, then it worked. The command was accepted, and I was able to ping the subnet for which I had installed a static route.

I do seem to recall that somewhere the in the book, it is mentioned that the correct name for interfaces used in the book, serial in particular, might vary depending on router model.

I kept trying S 0/0. I didn't try s 0/0/0. Thanks for all your help on this. It's very much appreciated.

Thread Information