Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Thread: Distribute-list

Default Distribute-list

So I am reading about the distribute-list command. here is what I found out about it. "distribute-list is applied to an interface using EIGRP. In EIGRP, a distribute-list will block route entries from entering the topology table.:

Why would I want to use a Distribute-list vs creating an ACL list do the following:
    access-list 100 deny ip 224.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
    and
    ip access-group 100 in

Default Distribute-list Command

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Keen View Post
    So I am reading about the distribute-list command. here is what I found out about it. "distribute-list is applied to an interface using EIGRP. In EIGRP, a distribute-list will block route entries from entering the topology table.:

Why would I want to use a Distribute-list vs creating an ACL list do the following:
    and
    ip access-group 100 in
    never mind,
    I had to re-read the book again
    the purpose of Distribute-list is so the tech dosen't need to assign the ACL to the man individual interfaces,
    distribute-list cmd, assigns the ACL to all of the interfaces at once for the tech

never mind,
    I had to re-read the book again
    the purpose of Distribute-list is so the tech dosen't need to assign the ACL to the man individual interfaces,
    distribute-list cmd, assigns the ACL to all of the interfaces at once for the tech
    Sounds like we are hitting the same text at the same time.

I've been revamping/interfacing my lab routers and have started running labs based on Chapt's 1-4. Interesting stuff!
    John

CCNA
    CCNA:Voice
    ATSA Internetworking - AdTran

and
    ip access-group 100 in
    This is a very bad ACL for this purpose. You would block a lot more than EIGRP. DHCP relay and VRRP both use multicast addresses, along with other routing protocols and vatious other protocols from the IP suite.
    CCNP R&S, CCNA DC
    Currently studying: CCIE R&S, CCNP Data Centre
    Follow my CCIE progress with study notes on my blog: http://beyondccna.blogspot.co.uk/

and
    ip access-group 100 in

As you can see this is used to block ROUTE ENTRIES, so this applies to ROUTES not normal packets, the ACL you have defined will block the multicast traffic which is used by lot of things other than EIGRP, also EIGRP itself will have issues since the Hello packets which use 224.0.0.10 will not be allowed to Adj. will not form with neighbors.

So if you want for example to block specific network from being learning you will have to use the Distribute-list, this will only affect the route update for the network you specified and will not affect anything else, let's say you want the router not to learn about the network 10.1.1.0 and learn about the other networks so you will configured the below ACL and apply it with the Distribute-lisy

access-list 1 deny 10.1.1.0
    access-list 1 permit any

and once you apply it with the "Distribute-list" command and specify "in" this will instruct the EIGRP to check the updates it is receiving from the other routers and deny 10.1.1.0 network from being learned and it will learn any other network.

Hope this explains everything.

Thread Information