Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Thread: OSPF dr and bdr

Default OSPF dr and bdr

just a comment on this chapter. I'm having a problem trying to visualize the topology that has to built so that a DR and BDR can exist. I understand that it exists mostly in a broadcast environment and not a point to point wan link. In the beginning of the chapter the CORP router is connected to the WAP through the fa0/0 interface and that made it the DR of the network. Is that the pre-requisite to create a dr in an ospf environment is by having an FA0/0 link?

I'd like to see a couple of other graphics that show a b/c network in a ospf environment vs a point to point so I can understand this a little better.

Do I make sense?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    just a comment on this chapter. I'm having a problem trying to visualize the topology that has to built so that a DR and BDR can exist. I understand that it exists mostly in a broadcast environment and not a point to point wan link. In the beginning of the chapter the CORP router is connected to the WAP through the fa0/0 interface and that made it the DR of the network. Is that the pre-requisite to create a dr in an ospf environment is by having an FA0/0 link?

I'd like to see a couple of other graphics that show a b/c network in a ospf environment vs a point to point so I can understand this a little better.

Do I make sense?

thanks
    This topo would make a good example
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A+, Network+, CCNA, CCNP/Data Center wannabe
    A spark of encouragement can ignite great endeavors

OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) addresses three classes of network; these are point-to-point, broadcast and non-broadcast. In a point-to-point network, there is a direct link between two end points. In a broadcast network, the device advertises itself to the network as being present. In a non-broadcast network, the topology governs how the transmission occurs. OSPF is a link state protocol, meaning that the interface -- the link -- describes the relationship to its neighbors.
    Find more about us!

IF a HIGHER priority OSPF router comes online AFTER the election has taken place, it will not become DR or BDR until (at least) the DR and BDR fail.

-----------
    more info on website

Thread Information