Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Default Looking for recommendations

Hi Everyone,

About 18 months ago I got my CCENT using the Lammle Press book available at the time (CCNA). I got my certification at a time that I knew I wasnt going to use it, but in hopes for "Something More".

Amazingly I was blessed with an incredible new job. 3 months ago I was hired at a company to be their Systems Engineer. When I applied for the job, I figured I would be joining an engineering team. What I found was that there was only one Systems Engineer for the entire company. They also had lost their Network Engineer and have been using contractors to bridge the gap. So as luck would have it, in some pinch situations I have put my CCENT to use. My skills are getting stronger everyday.

So heres where the recommendations are needed. I have impressed my CIO enough that he has decided he doesnt want to hire a Network Engineer and instead wants to get me training to advance my skills. At my office we use all Cisco. Switches, Routers, Firewalls, Phones, Call Manager, UCCX, and Unity. So now my primary focus is to attain at least my CCNA Voice certification.

It looks like the ICND2 has changed since I took ICND1. What would be the best way to get up to speed. Obviously this isnt about cramming for a test. This is about really getting my skills up.

At home I have a test lab with 2x3548xl switches, and a 2611 Router, as well as a couple of Cisco phones. I also have a Fortigate 200a firewall. However, my CIO is very very supportive, and would be happy to loan me anything I need to better my skills. We have tons of equiptment laying around my office.

I know they would be happy to spring for classes. What would you all recommend. I really love Cisco and have been given a hell of an opportunity to really advance my career.

So you need to do your ICND2 to get your full CCNA then your plan is get your CCNA V? Sound like you are doing great at work and if they will give you hardware and courses you are on a good path.

Workout what you want to do and in some sort of time frame and you are good.

HTH.
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by Big Evil View Post
    So you need to do your ICND2 to get your full CCNA then your plan is get your CCNA V? Sound like you are doing great at work and if they will give you hardware and courses you are on a good path.

Workout what you want to do and in some sort of time frame and you are good.

HTH.
    Yep, next order of business is ICND2, then moving on to Voice. Ideally I'd like to finish ICND2 by the end of summer. I could do it within a month if I had the time, but I'm currently working on a bunch of huge projects at work (Exchange migration from 2003 to 2010, implementing Quests Archive Manager, SCCM, Link, plus day to day) so finding the time is difficult. I'm literally replacing domain controllers at 15 offices over the next couple of months. Also I guess my company just acquired another company that will increase our work force by 70%. Not to mention they do everything differently, so its going to be tons of work over the next year.

At some point most people find that either their certs are above their exp or their exp are above their certs. The latter is a better place to be, like you are in.
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

huthmakerj, congratulations on your job success! We just don't hear about these types of opportunities so much these days anymore. I am very happy for you!

My 7th edition will help you with the ICDN2, or I have classes as well. It sounds like you are building a very strong foundation which is great!

Good luck in your future.
    Todd Lammle

A friend of mine has got his CCNA Voice just recently, and reinforced his job security at the country's top Cisco partner. He said it's a very joyful path, so go for it!
    CCNA

AMR what did your friend use for his ccna voice i mean which book?
    Regards
    Talal

Default reply

I'm Certified from CISCO, Microsoft and ADOBE. I do all my preparation from a web site it provides all the study material to me visit this site it will help you too.
    Last edited by Big Evil; 04-26-2012 at 04:02 AM.

frankeric - before you start pimping your services it would be considered polite to ask the owner if this ok.
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Frank, please don't put links to dump sites on here.
    Thanks for editing, BE

Thread Information