CCNA Video Training Series

Instant Access, Web or Mobile!

Only $99 for 30 days...
Renew at half price!

Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30

    Question Packet tracer download link

    Hi...

    I want to download and install packet tracer(5.3 or any version) for pratical labs on my laptop but unable to find the same..can anyone provide me the link where i can download it.
    Thanks,
    Rajeev.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I, erm just used Bit torrent to download it!

    Not sure if I'm meant to say that but it just a suggestion and other file sharing web sites are available!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,887

    Default

    Maybe not the best way to get PT, IceBlue and one that we would not sanction here on the forum. Some other simulators / emulators are also available in the world, like GNS / Dynamips, Boson etc

    HTH.
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Evil View Post
    Maybe not the best way to get PT, IceBlue and one that we would not sanction here on the forum. Some other simulators / emulators are also available in the world, like GNS / Dynamips, Boson etc

    HTH.
    Just out of curiosity, why would you not sanction it here on the forum? Is is illegal? Is it immoral? It may not be the [I]best[I] way, but it's certainly a way to get it, and I'd hazard a guess that most of us students studying for our Cisco certs have used this method to download it. Are we depriving Cisco of revenue? If so Cisco should allow it to be sold via a download link and we'd all buy it - after all we'll be eventually working with all their software and hardware. But unless you're registered with them on their learning program, you can't get it. And why does Mr Lammle advocate its use in the Hands-On labs??? Why indeed was I send .pkt files after buying Edition 7 of his book??? I personally believe that Bit Torrent is a resource that allows me to acquire software (Packet Tracer 5.3) readily and easily that aids in my understanding of gaining a CCNA. But if you're talking about downloading Todds books in .pdf format for free, now that's different - and yes that's wrong.

    Furthermore, I tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to legally gain newer Cisco IOS for a Cisco 2500 series router, and guess what? Nope, unless you have a service contract, it's not happening. So Bit Torrent to the rescue again! And in downloading the various flavours of IOS for the 2500 series router (which by the way is End of Life) I learnt how to update, install, upgrade, downgrade and backup different IOS's on a router using TFTP. Should I now be condemned in my approach to deepen my knowledge?

    I'm not challenging the Big Evil here, I'm just saying it as it should be said: The OP should use the file sharing sites to get Packet Tracer, or ask a friend to give you a copy - really is there a difference? I believe the emphasis should be on Cisco to provide relevant software for all students regardless of how they study for their exams - either self study or part of a program so that questions of where to get Packet Tracer are confined to the bin!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,887

    Default

    I see/hear your frustration here - we cannot advertise the use of torrents fro getting PT or IOS here on the forum as Cisco would see this as illegal and TL could face some serious issues from Cisco. The same way we do allow the talk/use of exam dumps or let the NDA be broken here.

    You are by no means the first (nor will be the last) in wanting Cisco to sell something for students after all like you say - it is in their benefit.

    http://etherealmind.com/cisco-ios-petition-reloaded/

    But in the defence of Cisco no other vendor does this either for students (i would be happy to be corrected btw if someone knows a vendor who does).

    Why does TL use PT in his books? The only reason i can think of is that his company is part of the "Cisco Networking Academy instructors, students, and alumni" and that the IOS is built in to the program - unlike say GNS3 if he said use that (GNS3) the questions of "Where to get the IOS please Todd" would be all over the forum.

    HTH.
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Evil View Post
    I see/hear your frustration here - we cannot advertise the use of torrents fro getting PT or IOS here on the forum as Cisco would see this as illegal and TL could face some serious issues from Cisco. The same way we do allow the talk/use of exam dumps or let the NDA be broken here.

    You are by no means the first (nor will be the last) in wanting Cisco to sell something for students after all like you say - it is in their benefit.

    http://etherealmind.com/cisco-ios-petition-reloaded/

    But in the defence of Cisco no other vendor does this either for students (i would be happy to be corrected btw if someone knows a vendor who does).

    Why does TL use PT in his books? The only reason i can think of is that his company is part of the "Cisco Networking Academy instructors, students, and alumni" and that the IOS is built in to the program - unlike say GNS3 if he said use that (GNS3) the questions of "Where to get the IOS please Todd" would be all over the forum.

    HTH.
    Interesting comments here Big Evil and thanks for presenting the other side of the argument.

    Although I'm late to the party, it's great to know others are taking this to Cisco in the form of a petition.

    However, I don't think its a level playing field when Cisco only gifts its own students with Packet Tracer whilst withholding it from us, mere students of Todd Lammle!

    Anyways, Big evil is to be applauded for maintaining neutrality, whereas I don't have that condition imposed on me so I've more or less given away one method to the original poster of where to find the elusive Packet Tracer amongst other things.

    Now, anyone care to tell me more about CCNA/exam brain dumps... Like where to find them and if they're any good. I've nearly finished reading and revising CCNA 7th Edition and need some advice (Sorry Big Evil, hope you understand )

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,887

    Default

    Welcome to the world mate!

    I knew someone that was on Narbik boot camp last year. By far he is one of the most knowledgeable Cisco guys i know - his depth of skill is staggering. In the pre-test before the course got started my buddy got 60% whilst the Cisco guys got high 90%'s. More over - whilst studying for the CCNP exam i was using the CP books. Then someone gave me their old Cisco official CCNP course ware they did not need any more. The Cisco student guides are way better than the Cisco books. Granted the lab books you cannot replicate as the student labs in class have a pre-configured backbone.

    Of course Cisco students will get the best information - just look at the CCIEv4 OEQ, if you took the Cisco 360 course instead of the 3rd party one, you did not have to take the OEQ! How unfair is that! Hence they later dropped the OEQ.
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Left Coast, California
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
    Interesting comments here Big Evil and thanks for

    Now, anyone care to tell me more about CCNA/exam brain dumps... Like where to find them and if they're any good. I've nearly finished reading and revising CCNA 7th Edition and need some advice (Sorry Big Evil, hope you understand )
    You know, dude, you were starting to get some of my sympathy in your first reply, it is frustrating that people who seriously want to study ccna on their own cant get packet tracer from cisco by some means. However, you werent born into this world "entitled" to anything and everything you happen to want. Time to grow up. As far as Cisco "gifting" students with packet tracer, I went through the academy and paid a LOT OF MONEY in books and tuition...PT was one of the benefits. Is that hard for you to understand?

    As far as your last comment quoted above about dumps, well, I just lost all respect for you after reading that.

    Good luck trying to figure out right from wrong.
    Kevin NET+SEC+A+CCNA
    'All that is not eternal is eternally out of date' ~ C.S. Lewis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodaze View Post
    You know, dude, you were starting to get some of my sympathy in your first reply, it is frustrating that people who seriously want to study ccna on their own cant get packet tracer from cisco by some means. However, you werent born into this world "entitled" to anything and everything you happen to want. Time to grow up. As far as Cisco "gifting" students with packet tracer, I went through the academy and paid a LOT OF MONEY in books and tuition...PT was one of the benefits. Is that hard for you to understand?

    As far as your last comment quoted above about dumps, well, I just lost all respect for you after reading that.

    Good luck trying to figure out right from wrong.
    My friend, my last comment about dumps is called sarcasm! No need for your petty rudeness - we're all Cisco students here

    And thank you for helping with my rant - you see outside of the US of A how easy is it to find a Cisco Academy? The original poster might not have access to the wonderful resources that an academy can provide that you paid a LOT for.

    In London, there is only 1 Cisco Global Learning Partner providing classroom based courses. Just 1! London is a big place, so 1 is very surprising (I just checked on Cisco's web site and it only came up with 1 provider for CCNA) So say I live in Southampton (one of the ports the Titanic called at before she sailed to NY) Well London is too far so I might go a local provider who is not Cisco accredited. Therefore no Packet Tracer for me, thus I ask where to download it from.

    Good luck? Yeah I wish the best of luck for all my fellow Cisco students!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Packet Tracer
    By golfer2 in forum CCNA Simulation Exam Practice Labs Answers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
  2. Packet Tracer Download
    By grod777 in forum CCNA Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM
  3. packet tracer 5.2
    By cattleman in forum Routing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
  4. Packet tracer 5.2
    By cattleman in forum Routing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 07:03 AM
  5. packet tracer 5.2
    By cattleman in forum Routing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •