Only $99 for 30 days...
Renew at half price!

Buy/Renew

Includes FREE Practice Exams!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Official Lammle User Forum

Exclamation Kindle/Nook editions, updates & corrections?

Greetings:

How are updates handled for those of us who purchase the Kindle edition?

I prefer to have the Kindle edition, but I don't want to buy a book full of errors.

Even the book's page on Amazon has reviewers saying that the paperback is in its 3rd run, but the Kindle download is only the 1st error-bogged run.

What is being done to update the Kindle's version of the book, to eliminate all known errors and all future-discovered errors?

In technical books, details ARE critical and need to be addressed. Paperbacks are already bulk printed, and web page errata is a given. However, Kindle editions are the latest and up to date...or should be...and mechanisms must be in place to correct any errors dynamically on-the-fly and have them downloaded.

Thanks in advance, for the info!
    Last edited by timswork; 05-11-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Edit to change title to be inclusive of the Nook also.

Really? 24 hours and no answer or acknowledgement to this simple issue????

You have asked a question that only Todd himself can answer, only he or Sybex would be able to tell you. Therefore you either wait for Todd to answer or contact Sybex direct. Todd's work schedule does allow for him to be on here everyday. I am sure once he logs on he will answer.

FYI - I once asked Cisco Press a question and am still waiting, 3 years later! In fact the book is no longer published and the exam is retired.

HTH.
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Exclamation

Inquiring minds want.to.know.

Have you also contacted Sybex?
    Maddox Thomas-Clark 14/10/2008
    Bean Thomas-Clark 18/09/2007
    Big Evils Cisco World
    Linkedin

Exclamation

No, that is not a task for me to do.

I have done my diligence by coming here for the answer.

Contacting the publisher should not be a directive answer by the published author or his forum moderators.

In this day and age, an answer to this simple issue should not be this big of a deal. Either there is a process in place to take corrective measures on a digital book, or there is not. And if there is not, it's certainly worth exploring how to remedy that situation--such as the author/mods contacting the publisher or Amazon/B&N. Should be easy enough. Period.

It's practically impossible to make corrections on our own device contents, we have to tediously add an extra note as a panacea; even worse, errors may be in a diagram that IS impossible for us to change or note at all. Content purchases should not be full of errors.

If someone just needs to say that updates cannot be transmitted to purchased Kindle/Nook/whatever content, then they should just say it--and also say here is why that is the case (for whatever reason that may be). Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Evil View Post
    Have you also contacted Sybex?
    Last edited by timswork; 05-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Except that Sybex/Wiley doesn't communicate with authors that often, and they own the content, and they update it when and if they want.
    You can rant and rave here about what you think is a simple issue, that's fine. I've asked them a dozen times about an update for the e-books, but I never get a response.
    The printed book gets updates every time they print (about once a month), so that one is pretty solid.
    I cannot get my e-book updated. My thought is that since this is a new process for them, they had no process for updating the content of the e-books.
    Wiley is a big company and moves very slowly.
    If I had an answer for the e-book, then I would simply put it on the forum.
    so no, I don't have an answer for the e-book.
    Todd Lammle

Arrow

Great, finally an answer; thank you very much Todd.

It's a shame that content can't be fixed, but at least the question has been answered and we can make an appropriate purchasing decision.

Exclamation

Just an update for those who are interested in this situation:

I purchased the Kindle-version book and compared the errata, and great news: it appears to all be fixed in the book that I purchased!

Further, I received this comment from my contact with Amazon:

"I've checked and see that there have been some errors in this book. However, I can confirm that these errors have been fixed now.

Whenever we receive feedback about the error for a book, we'll try to rectify the error and then try to update the content."
    So, good news about the errata-status of those who purchase the Kindle CCNA book.

There should still be some pre-determined process in place for the publisher to submit updates to the provider (Kindle/Nook/etc.) to revision the book, so we readers don't have to do all the work in fixing errors.
    Last edited by timswork; 05-16-2012 at 04:39 PM.

That is amazing!! Thank you!
    That's why I didn't get a response from Wiley, that was an Amazon issue to fix.
    This is GREAT news!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by timswork View Post
    There should still be some pre-determined process in place for the publisher to submit updates to the provider (Kindle/Nook/etc.) to revision the book, so we readers don't have to do all the work in fixing errors.
    I agree with this. I have the ebook in my Nook Color. If you have an account and proof of purchase, and since it's electronic, you should be able to update your version with errata updates.

Of course, this has to be done between the seller and the publisher. Todd has no control over that from what I've read.

I asked Barnes and Noble if I could delete the book from my Nook and re-download it when it's updated. They said if I delete it, it will be gone from my account and the new download would be a new purchase.
    I thought I was wrong once. But, of course, I was wrong.

Since this is my first "e-book" that Sybex/Wiley sold, all of this is new territory for me, but this thread is very helpful. Thanks to all for the help.
    I appologize for the poor way that Amazon and B&N have handled this, and I really do wish I had some control over it, but I had to even buy my OWN copy - I didn't even get a free e-book.
    CRAZY!!
    Todd

Thread Information